The main function of a vacuum pump is to filter the air and such pumps can remove the harmful gas molecules from a sealed area. Basically, vacuum pumps are used for pulling out the air and gasses from a confined space and the vacuum filters of such pumps can purify the air by restricting the air molecules. In the industrial areas, vacuum filters are used for separating a solid-liquid mixture and this is known as suction filtration. In this process, a solid liquid mixture is poured onto the filter paper and the vacuum pumps can accumulate the solid liquid mixture through the funnels.
Advantages of Vacuum Filters:
- Vacuum filters or suction filters are much easier, and they are less complicated than gravity filtration. With the good seals, you can easily filter the solid water mixture within one minute, and you can vacuum filters are more efficient at removing residual liquid.
- Vacuum filters are important for crystallization because liquid mixtures can contain soluble impurities and you need to use a filter that can absorb such impurities with its powerful suction process. In this case, vacuum filters can be used to remove the impurities from solid liquid mixtures.
- But if you do not use proper filter paper in your vacuum pumps then it can absorb some fine crystals form the pores of the filters. You cannot remove the fine crystals from the liquid solid mixtures with the vacuum filters, and to prevent this problem you must use proper vacuum filter papers. However, you can use such vacuum filters for the large scale industries, and they are the best for removing large crystals.
- With the vacuum filters, you can easily separate the solid from its surrounding liquids and rinsing the solid is important of the liquid does not evaporate. In the case of crystallization, you can find some impurities in the liquid and you need to remove such impurities from the solid through vacuum filters. To rinse a suction vacuum filter, you need to remove the cold solvent from the solid mixtures, and you can use the same solvent in the time of crystallization. You can use a glass funnel to remove the cold solvents and the filter cake will help you to pour the cold solvent over the solid mixtures.
- Apart from that, vacuum distillation is a part of vacuum filters and you can use suction filter flask to remove the solvents from the solid liquid mixture. You can find a water aspiration in the vacuum pump and this is connected with a suction flask. You can use this suction flask to filter the oil and it can remove the water solvents from the oil. Water aspirator is an important part of the vacuum pump and it is an attachment of a water spigot. Once the water flows through the faucet, filtration will be created in the flask and you can use the vacuum filters for further filtration.
How Would You Use The Vacuum Filters?
First, you need to place a side-armed Erlenmeyer flask and then you can connect the thick hose with the vacuum trap of the water aspirator. Turn on the aspirator and install the vacuum sleeve on the Buchner funnel. In this stage, you need to use the vacuum filters. Then mix the solvent used in the flask to the vacuum filter and the solvent should drain out with the vacuum suction. Now you can rinse with the solvent and this process is known as crystallization.
Swirl the solid liquid mixture and filter the mixture to store the solid in a side flask. Then turn on the aspirator again and with a quick motion, you can pour the slurry into the funnel. Use filter paper of vacuum filters to remove the cold solvents and apply suction again for a few minutes to rinse the solvents.
Alyssa Moylan is the author of this post