Come Spring, and we will be facing some very serious pest problems. The reason being, pests love it as the temperature rises and with this warmth, they start dwelling in places we live or work. Spring and summer are like the most favorable seasons for pests to grow and reproduce. Insects and all the annoying pests wake up from their hibernation and start invading our homes, workplaces. They are not just a nuisance for their presence but they carry many germs and diseases, not just that, but they damage our belongings too. There are some pest facts you need to know as well. This spring, let’s just minimize the disturbance that is likely to be caused by these pests and insects. While you look for a solution for pest extermination, you try your best to find a natural way to counter the problem rather than using toxic pesticides. People opt for natural or less toxic pest management solutions because; pesticides are known to leave harmful effects not just on pests but on human health, plants and animals too. This risks pesticides pose, don’t just end there but they are also responsible for polluting our environment.
Here are some natural ways you can get rid of spring pests without having to opt for a toxic solution.
Cockroaches are one of the most commonly found pests in our homes. They just roam around freely and contaminate our food with germs and diseases like pneumonia, diarrhea, typhoid and can further worsen conditions for people with asthma. To naturally get rid of these disease and damage causing insects, here are some easy tips:
- Insects like cockroaches are smart and will not just easily get under your shoe or splatter, so what you can do is set glue traps in areas where they are likely to move around the most.
- Boric acid and diatomaceous earth have been proven to work in controlling cockroaches.
- Spraying soap water directly on to a cockroach also works as a non-toxic roach exterminator.
- Cockroaches reside in places that are high so sprinkle some boric acid or diatomaceous earth in places like: cabinet tops, corners, crevices, gaps between any two places. If you want to exterminate them all then put some boric acid directly on their nests.
- Natural cockroach repellents also include: bay leaves, garlic cloves, and cucumber slices. Placing them near their access or residing points will keep them at bay.
Ants may be tiny in size but they can wreak havoc when they come to evade your property. They can enter into your property through the tiniest of cracks and dig holes anywhere. To get the upper hand over these destructive pests and to get rid of them, here are some natural deterrents:
- Like cockroaches, ants can be attacked with soap water. Kept in a spray bottle, it can be used as your natural insect repellent.
- Dry mint leaves or mint tea bags can also work as a repulsive technique against ants.
- The best way to eradicate ants from your vicinity is to use traps at places where they live and enter from. A solution of water, borax and sugar around the places they come from will get your ant problem resolved.
- Cloves of garlic, citrus oil, lemon juice, cinnamon and coffee beans are all natural ant repellents that have zero toxicity and can be easily found in your kitchen.
Bedbugs, which are known to be the hardest to treat, can be found living in almost every house hold. They are tiny, creepy and silently live in places we seek for comfort. The worst part about a bed bug infestation is that they will not make an appearance at all, yet still be living in huge populations inside your home or workplace. Although, it’s almost impossible to treat bed bugs on your own but a few natural preventive measures might work to stop them from growing in your place.
- A good rule of thumb to avoid a bed bug infestation is to minimize the chances of an ideal bedbug habitat.
- Diatomaceous earth (food grade) applied around your place can work as a non-toxic bed-bug repellent.
- In case, you are dubious about bugs living under your mattress or anywhere in your home, then it is best to wash your beddings with hot water and thoroughly clean your bed.
- Do not just clean belongings where you suspect bed bugs but the entire area, by washing off the fabrics and vacuuming throughout the place, specially joints between upholstery, cracks and crevices.
You can control pests, if you prevent them from making your place their home. Take all preventive measures like: not leaving food sources, cracks and crevices open, as these work as an invitation for pests to enter your home.
Sheerin jafri, the author of this post, is a passionate health and lifestyle blogger. Follow @SheerinJafri for more updates.
(Visited 123 times, 1 visits today)